Thursday, August 18, 2005

Pamamanhikan

It happened on August 14, 2005. The time was set for lunch because FIL2B usually returns to Batangas (for work) after lunch on Sundays. That day was an exception, though, because he was scheduled to go on a business trip the next day. So we practically had the whole afternoon.

I asked Ane if we should also prepare some food because my parents invited my elders (grandparents from both sides and the second sibs with spouses of both my parents). He said, maybe we should because MIL2B prepared only some food (she also included my ever favorite buco salad!)...which later turned out to be enough. :)

My dad joked that he made an appointment at 11am and that he would miss the pamanhikan altogether. He knew I'd get pissed and that I wouldn't believe him anyway. By 11 we were all preparing and I changed into the newly purchased skirt and a blouse I bought a couple of weeks back. I even put on some make-up. Yup, I exerted effort just to be a bit girly. I thought Ane would appreciate it. Oh well, I think he did appreciate it. Dad said I was being OA, with the skirt, make-up and all, but I was quite sure he was just bugging me. :) The thing with dad's talaga.

When I went down, Tatay T and Tita E (mom's parents) already arrived. A little later Tatay T and Nanay L came. Nanay L was a bit teary-eyed when she held my hand saying, "Ano lalagay ka na ba talaga sa magulo?" I was touched of course. But I didn't know what to answer. Ane with his parents arrived shortly. I helped bring in the food they brought, introduced my parents to their balae-to-be, and settled them in the reception room. My elders were silent as FIL2B joked, "Kami ho ay kaunti lang, tatlo't kalahati lang kami, yung kalahati yung aso, naiwan sa bahay," referring to the fact that they were a bit outnumbered. That broke the ice. Tito B (dad's 2nd sib) with Tita V joined us and Mommy E (mom's 2nd sib) with Daddy M apologized for being late when they arrived.

The discussion started with my Mom and FIL2B leading the brainstorming. The date was set as well as the budget. Both sets of parents pledged to help out in the expenses. Other details were left upon us to decide, which is good. :)

Lunch was bountiful. And yummy too! But I ate a little. I dunno why.

After lunch, Ane's parents visited my salon and spa which is just next door and stayed there. All the men (except for Ane and my two brothers) from the Pamanhikan decided to start the drinking session. While the women (except Tita E and I), with nothing else to do, had treatments done. Mom had her pedicure, MIL2B and Mommy E chose hair spa, and Nanay L & Tita V had their hair colored! Mga kikay talaga!

After two 1-liter hard drinks, the men were obviously drunk while the women were relaxed. The women were waiting for the men and it was I who had to stop the men from drinking. Hangkukulet na eh!

After thirty minutes of goodbyes and kulitan, the party finally ended at 6pm. It was a blast. And i'm glad it happened. :)

Oooooppppsss... before I forget, pictures here!



2 comments:

donna_chocnut said...

naks tin, girly girl with skirt and make up =) shempre, pamamanhikan eh. yeah, it's true, hirap nga talagang makakain pag mga ganyang okasyon. ako rin hindi gano nakakain nung pamamanhikan. congrats again tin! bakit nga ba mag-ane?

Kaje said...

hey donna!!

when we got together we started calling each other bardagol and matsusu...but we scrapped it a little later..kasi parehong lalaki yun di ba?!? hahaha.

we officially call each other "hunny"...which later became "hane"...at pag medyo tamad na "ane" na lang hahah and it somehow stuck kaya kaming dalawa, "mag-ane" kami. :)

gulo ba?