Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Party That Wasn't Matthew's

He said we are attending a children's party. It was to be a colleague's son's birthday -- on a friday, after office hours, in McDonald's. The birthday party was last night. I thought we could not stay long enough because of some appointment my parents made for me. I told him. He said okay and that we could just leave the party early.

I expected it to be some really casual party so I chose to wear a pair of jeans, a red shirt and a pair of old rubber shoes. I asked if I should change my shirt to something else and my pants to my denim skirt which I brought along. But he said I looked okay. Besides he was just wearing a pair of shorts and a polo shirt. Before we went to the party, he insisted we go look at some mobile phone units at the mall saying that we were too early. Weird thing though, we were at the mall but we did not buy a gift for the birthday boy. And he never reminded me to buy something. We decided to just give angpao.

We got to McDonald's PRC a little after seven pm and there were only a few guests who have arrived. So we waited a little more before the program for Matthew, the birthday boy, started. His mother, Gilda, meanwhile chatted with us and asked all sorts of questions about us. She even commented, "Magkamukha kayo!" To which I gave no reply but just smiled.

When the kids arrived, the games started. They surely were having fun. The third game was meant for the titas. The host called out four names, including mine. We were to be blindfolded. The three other titas promptly brought out their hankies. I don't use hankies so I asked him for his. But instead of lending me his, Gilda amazingly had a spare hanky for me to use. It was even neatly folded, ready to be tied on around my eyes. The game was banana eating contest. I whispered to him, saying that I might have a hard time since I just got my braces adjusted that morning. They all said it was okay. And I was ready to lose the game.

Before the game started, they had some technical problems with the sound system. And there we were, standing, holding on to dear banana, blindfolded and clueless about what was happening. We were signalled GO and I started to patiently bite and chew, little bites and slow chews. So imagine my surprise when haflway thru my banana, the host announced that I, the tita in red shirt, was on the lead. How could that be?!? I did not mind them. But then again, I was announced the winner. Before they untied my blindfold, the host told me to turn-around for we were about to "punish" the other titas who lost...and that the Special friend was already there to give me my prize. As I was un-blindfolded (is there such a word?!?), the mascot Birdie was already standing beside me, clutching what seemed like a spaghetti styro. It was a spaghetti styro! And I thought, "why would they give me spaghetti as a prize when I just finished a big piece of banana?". I was told to open it, and when I did...my world suddenly stopped. Or rather, except for my eyesight, my other senses were numbed. There inside were pictures of the two of us. There were words that I failed to read until later on. There was a song being played, the lyrics of which , I wasn't able to pay attention to.

I wanted to cry but I couldn't. I was both suprised and ashamed because we just "stole" Matthew's moments and the people around me were strangers. My first instinct was to look for him, glanced hopefully at our table. But he was not there. Then I knew, there was something else about to happen. As I turned around to face everybody, the kids were arranged in such a way that a small aisle was formed. The boys were holding on to roses while the girls blew on bubbles. There was a red "carpet" with petals. While I was watching them, trying so hard not to cry, he came out of the backroom...with that really broad smile of his, as if saying "Gotcha!". It was all real. I saw right away that he was holding on to THE RING.

I started to laugh and say between my teeth how corny all that was. And I slapped him. Yeah! I remember slapping him. It was something I didn't mean to do of course! That was my booboo...his was worse, I'd say...because he forgot to ask me THE QUESTION, and jumped right to putting the ring on my finger. Not that I would have said no. Sometimes the two of us could be nervous wrecks, hehehe.

And then they brought out a small table, with our picture and pink candles. There was a choir of kids who sang some songs. And they announced...

It wasn't Matthew's birthday after all. It was all a set-up. I knew there was a ring already. Just so I won't suspect anything, he misled me by throwing that kids' party. They recruited all the kids for the party. They made all the kids believe it was Matthew's party.

It was our party on July 15, 2005 all along. It was the day we got engaged.

2 comments:

Jane Bio said...

awww, such a sweetie for a honey. go get amrried na!

Kaje said...

hi jane! thanks for dropping by!

he really is sweet, huwag lang magtatantrums hehehehe